We communicate the impact of university research to maximise its visibility outside academia. We produce videos to promote the results of KTPs. We also offer high-quality impact training.
Why choose Bulletin Academic?
- We are experts in impact.
- We help academics communicate their research in a style and language that makes it accessible to a non-specialist audience.
- We have worked for around 30 universities and research institutes in the UK, Europe and Hong Kong.
- We have been involved in impact case study development and training since 2012 and have edited and reviewed hundreds of case studies across most UoAs.
Effective communication of research impact
The dissemination of research findings and impact is increasingly important, but not something that all researchers find easy, or have enough time to do.
Bulletin Academic works with researchers from all disciplines to distil the important messages and outcomes of their work to create case studies and policy briefings that are easy to understand and impactful. We also produce videos (including for ‘shorts’ for social media), infographics and posters to communicate the messages in different ways.
Our services include:
- Case studies
- Policy briefings
- Video production
- Blog writing
- Press releases
- Reviews of text for grant applications
- Website copy
Traditional-look case studies written in accessible language for a general audience work well when published online or printed and can be collated to create overview documents.
Encouraging KTP take-up with video case studies
KTPs are little-known business-growth scheme that more organisations need to know. At Bulletin Academic we are experts in KTPs (one of us was a KTP manager) and we produce videos that focus on completed projects to sell the advantages of the scheme to prospective partner companies and associates. The financial rewards of KTPs make it worth investing in advertising their benefits as widely as possible.
“As a KTP specialist, I know what a positive impact they can have for all members of the partnership. But they are complicated to communicate to new audiences, so it was great to work with the team at Bulletin because they understood the scheme in detail and recognised how exciting the innovations delivered by the projects were.”
Emma Craig, KTP Projects Coordinator, North of Scotland KTP Centre
To find out more about using videos to promote KTPs see our case study.
Impact Training for Academics
Our research impact workshops build the skills academic staff need to develop and maximise the impact of their research.
Our lead trainer, Kristine Pommert, is highly experienced and CIPD-qualified, with longstanding experience of designing and delivering a wide range of specialist training.
Our thorough understanding of the impact agenda means we are exceptionally well placed to deliver effective training in this area.
“It was a real pleasure to sit in… you and the team are instrumental in really understanding how impact translates in academia, and that is no mean feat!”
Dr Lisa Mooney, Pro Vice-Chancellor for Research and Innovation, Sheffield Hallam University
Our workshops are modular so that universities can pick exactly what they need. Modules can be tailored to the requirements of each group.
Our current workshops include:
- Building Research Impact Skills: Workshops for Early Career Researchers
- Building Research Impact Skills: Advanced Research Impact Skills for Mid-Career Researchers
- Training for Trainers: Building research impact skills to cascade to your teams
- Making your Mark: Media training for academics
- Getting Policymakers to Listen: How to make your research count
We can also create fully bespoke workshops to meet most academic training needs, so just contact us if you need something different.
Policy impact is a great way to demonstrate the value of academic research.
It strengthens the case for future funding. In a fast-moving political environment, Covid-19 and Brexit are presenting new opportunities and challenges that research can help address
Our services build the capabilities of universities and their researchers to maximise impact.
“A very stimulating workshop. It has reshaped our approach to impact. It prompted us to apportion requisite time to this dimension of research, and to make more efficient use of that time.”
Dr John Moriarty, School of Social Sciences, Education and Social Work, Queen’s University Belfast
Training and coaching
Our current offer includes:
- Influencing policy: introduction for ECRs and mid-career researchers
A workshop designed to raise awareness of how policy is made and how academic research can inform it. Aimed at all research-active staff new to influencing policy.
- Writing effective policy briefs
A workshop looking at the content, language and structure a policy brief needs to make an impact. With time for each participant to work on their own policy brief and receive feedback.
- Policy brief surgeries
Individual feedback on existing draft policy briefs.
- Giving evidence to Select Committees
An informal briefing for individuals or groups on giving oral or written evidence to a Select Committee, by former MP Dr Nick Palmer.
- Engaging with the policy community: making your mark through social media
This workshop helps academics who have little experience of blogs, Twitter and other social media outlets, to get the best out of them.
- Media training
Workshops for academics wanting to influence the policy agenda through TV, radio, print or online interviews. Includes tips for being interviewed on Teams or Zoom. Tailored to participants’ level of media proficiency.
Download a summary of our policy-orientated training – Getting Policymakers to Listen
Strategic analysis: identifying your front-runners
We can undertake an independent analysis of the potential of your research to deliver policy impact. As part of this, we will:
- Identify policy areas where impact is most likely and map them against your strongest and most relevant research.
- Recommend research areas to be targeted to generate policy impact.
- Identify ‘high-fliers’ (researchers whose work is particularly promising in terms of influencing policy) and address any training needs they may have.
- Define and deliver a practical policy strategy for the university as a whole or a faculty, department or research centre.
Communications and PR support
Providing policy guidance and actively participating in the development, shaping and discussion of policy can help raise the profile of your university and individual researchers. With our sister organisation, an established PR agency, we can support this process by:
- Authoring case studies for different target groups.
- Ghost-writing articles in accessible language.
- Placing articles and interviews in suitable media.
Proposing and organising targeted events to bring policy stakeholders and academics together.
Maximising the impact of your research on policy
Download a summary of all our policy-orientated services – Maximising the policy impact of your research