We raise the profile of university research to attract funders and students and ensure high scores on impact assessments. We provide high-quality impact training.
Why choose Bulletin Academic?
- We have worked for around 30 universities and research institutes in the UK, Europe and Hong Kong.
- We have been involved in impact case study development and training since 2012 and have edited and reviewed hundreds of case studies across most UoAs.
At this stage in the REF cycle our focus is on working with REF officers and academics to ensure that the impact case studies they are preparing are crafted to achieve the best possible outcome.
We do this in two ways: by providing feedback on existing draft submissions or by a complete rewrite by one of our team.
Impact Case Study Assessments and Feedback:
For individual researchers or teams who have produced drafts and are looking for written or face-to-face/telephone feedback.
Feedback will include:
- Comments on the style of writing, description of research and impacts, and construction of narrative
- Comments on the likely reach and significance of the impacts demonstrated
- Comments on the evidence provided
- Any suggestions for generating further impacts, and/or enhancing existing ones
Impact Case Study Writing
For busy researchers who prefer to leave the drafting or re-drafting of their impact cases in the hands of a professional writer with in-depth experience of the REF.
The service includes:
- In-depth interview with the researcher
- Provision of a draft case study based on the interview and any written materials supplied
- Suggestions on generating further impacts, and/or enhancing existing ones
- Details on any evidence or other elements missing which the researcher has not been able to supply
Impact Case Study Training
For teams working towards their impact submission for the REF2021, or those wanting to prepare for future REF exercises, we offer a range of workshops that can be tailored to suit individual needs. These include:
- Advanced Research Impact and Case Study Development
Our best-selling course offers a complete overview of impact and what it may look like in different areas, how to evidence it and how to construct a compelling impact case
- Gathering Evidence to Corroborate Your Impact
How to gather qualitative and quantitative evidence of impact with relevant examples
How to obtain effective written beneficiary acknowledgements
- Impact Case Study Writing: Constructing a Coherent Narrative
Constructing a coherent narrative, stylistic tips and writing practice with feedback
For individuals and teams who are drafting their impact case studies
Academic Impact Training
Our research impact workshops build the skills academic staff need to develop and maximise the impact of their research.
Our lead trainer, Kristine Pommert, is highly experienced and CIPD-qualified, with longstanding experience of designing and delivering a wide range of specialist training.
Our thorough understanding of the impact agenda means we are exceptionally well placed to deliver effective training in this area.
“The feedback from colleagues here has been outstanding… many saying it is one of the most useful training events they have ever had!”
Dr Wayne Morris, Head of Department and Associate Dean, Faculty of Humanities, University of Chester
Each of our workshops has a modular structure so universities can pick exactly what they need. Modules can be tailored to the requirements of each group.
Our current workshops include:
- Preparing for the REF2021
- Impact Skills Training for Early Career Researchers
- Advanced Research Impact Skills for Mid-Career Researchers
- Getting Policymakers to Listen
- Training for Trainers: building research impact skills to cascade to your teams
- Making Your Mark: Media Training (can be offered for women only)
We can also create fully bespoke workshops to meet most academic training needs, so just contact us if you need something different.